Some thoughts

As of now its in the middle of a identity crisis, I am not sure which way its headed.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Doing My Civic Duty


My short stint in the NYS Jury Pool.

After responding to a Jury questionnaire a few weeks ago, I was a bit surprised that they would want me so soon.

The instructions were quite clear, 8:45 am, I was to be there.

So after a sleepless night I showed up on the dot at 8:53 after getting stuck in traffic on the Subway, thinking that I would be shot, or worse told to come back tomorrow.

But it was not to be, for until 9:40 did we sit in a big room, all 500 of us watching court room dramas on the big screen.

When they finally got around to start processing us, after explaining us how to fill out the forms, a list of exemptions and disqualifications were announced. When the woman announced that all those who don't understand English should go into the next room, about 50 people quickly rose and made their exit, while the rest of the room laughed.

When they finally called my name, not to some murder trial that I had been hoping for did they send me, only to some civil trial where they didn't want me.

It turns out that back in 2003 A Jewish woman from Midwood/Flatbush struck a Latisha something or another, and is being sued for damages.

They didn't want me.

Besides for getting a Jury Questionnaire as a souvenir, I got a letter saying that I am a true American, and that I don't need to show up for another six years


11 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

a guess the six years are reassuring!
Nice of you not to have pretended to understand only Yiddish:)

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

May this be your only rejection!

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger The real me said...

Prag- I went there with the intention of serving my time.

Kas- Amen, although I think I was rejected for this one for being too qualified.

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger the sabra said...

funny that you were scared you'd be shot or EVEN WORSE told to come back the next day, yet you write that you went with every intention of serving ur time, doing ur duty bla bla.

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Nemo said...

Thank G-d for Ahavas Yisroel, eh?

Kudos on being a true American!

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Moiy-rah said...

lol, we can all relate to that.

jury duty--- so so so so boring!!!

when i went to jury duty i was so bored that i spent $20 at duane reade on junk.

then i sat at teh jury questioning eating boxes of pringles. i got some nasty glares and a lady teh next day yelled at me for not sharing....

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

Think about this, "When you go into court, you are putting your fate into the hands of twelve people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty!"

Cya tonight by the BBQ :)

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Grajee said...

um still wondering y on earth u would want to do jury duty?

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Nemo said...

You're required to do jury duty in the US. Comes with the whole voting/democracy thing.

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read film editing schools

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home